IMG_2298

Montefalcone Appennino

The municipality

Montefalcone Appennino is a municipality that counts less than 500 inhabitants and that is located at the foot of the mountains around Fermo.
Its historic centre is very peculiar as it was built on a spur of rock that dates back to over 4 Million years ago.
On sunny days it is possible to admire in the lowest part of the village the beautiful view that ranges from the Monti Sibillini to the Monte Conero.

The museums

IMG_1304
IMG_1316
IMG_1308
IMG_1331
IMG_1339
IMG_1322

The museum in Montefalcone Appennino plays an important artistic and cultural role. It is located in via Roma, in the building of Palazzo Felici, a building that dates back to the first decades of the 17th Century and that was owned by the counts Felici and later on by the Tronelli family.

Municipal Museum
of Fossils and Minerals

Palazzo Felici hosts the Municipal Museum of Fossils and Minerals, which displays fossils and local minerals in addition to other exemplars from all over the world.

The itinerary section dedicated to the fossils accounts as much as 500 findings that date back to the early Pliocene, such as headless molluscs (Pectens, Ostreas, Anomias, etc.) and local sessile barnacles in the genus Balanus. The museum shows the paleontological peculiarities of the local territory in addition to findings from all around the world and the ages, e.g. a Mammuth tusk and several molar teeth that originally are from the famous sites of the North Sea, or a cranium and other parts of the skeleton of a cave bear from the Pyrenees, or a sauropod egg from China, or the Madagascar Aepyornis egg, which was a gigantic bird that is currently extinct and that can be considered as the ancestor of the modern ostrich, great teeth of sharks from the Miocene age, a whole Mesosaurus and the paw of a Mesohippus in addition to many exemplars of Ammonites, Trilobites and amber insects, as well as many plant exemplars.
The exhibition itinerary is equipped with information signs that let especially the youngest visitors learn more on the processes of fossilization and evolution of the species.
The mineral section displays as much as 1200 findings. It is particularly interesting to point out the cave of the minerals that are fluorescent when exposed to the black lamps.
A section of the first floor is dedicated to the mineral collection of the artist Elio Ceccotti, which counts roughly 300 artworks made up with 10 thousand shells and clams.

Museum of Alemanno

The Museum of Alemanno is located in a room of Palazzo Felici. This museum displays the polyptych of the Madonna with Child and Saints painted by the Austrian artist Pietro Alemanno, the pupil of Carlo Crivelli, between 1475 and 1480, which was originally located in Luogo di Sasso in the church San Giovanni Battista.
This polyptych is particularly important because it is the only polyptich by Alemanno that was preserved until today with its original exquisite frame. At the centre of the polyptich stand out the Madonna and Child, while in the surrounding compartments we can see the figures of St. Catherine, John the Baptist, Francis of Assisi, St. Louise of Tolouse, St. Anthony of Padua, St. James, St. Jerome, St. Bernardino, the dead Christ in the arms of the Virgin Mary and St. John the Apostle.
The artwork is a celebration of all the most important members of the Franciscan order, as it was painted for the abovementioned monastery that was owned by the Franciscans. The praying character depicted below St. Francis holds the dogma of the Immaculate Conception written in Latin. This detail stresses that the Franciscans deeply believed in the Immaculate Conception, in contraposition to the Dominican Order.
Alemanno skilfully follows the style of his master Carlo Crivelli, as it can be remarked by the finely decorated clothes that emphasize the solemnity of the characters, in addition to the famous technique used for adding relief to the gilding of the halo of the saints, called decorazione a pastiglia (literally: pastework decoration).
The church of Giovanni Battista, ceased to the Minorites in 1591, originally displayed a very valuable silver cross on pole that dates back to the 14th Century in Ravenna Byzantine style.

 

Giardino Tronelli

Giardino Tronelli is the garden of Palazzo Felici. It is located on a rocky, sloping area, and it is characterized by a path that weaves through many species of plants. It was designed around the 20s and it is one of the first hanging gardens of Italy.

 

Environmental Education Centre (C.E.A)

Furthermore, the museum hosts a branch of the Environmental Education Centre (C.E.A) network of the region of Marche, which aims to value the natural characteristics of the territory.
The C.E.A. is a no-profit organization founded in 1968. Thanks to the financing of the Region of Marche, the Province of Ascoli Piceno and the cooperation of the municipality itself, the Environmental Educational Centre managed to keep its original spirit, thus raising awareness, educating and valuing the local territory.
t is important to underline that the territory of Montefalcone Appennino is classified as a Special Protection Area (SPA) and as a Site of Community Importance thanks to its extraordinary geo-morphological features. The territory of Montefalcone Appennino preserves several fossil areas as well as many rare plants, such as the Aquilegia, and thirty-three species of wild orchids. Local fauna is not any less interesting, symbolized without any doubt by the Peregrine Falcon, a middle-sized bird of prey that nests on the cliffs of the rocky sandstone mountains.

EVENTS

Every year during the second week of October there is a festival called Sapori d’Autunno (autumn flavours). The old wine cellars are opened and the old town is brightened with decorations inspired to the colours and the flavours of the autumn. The old town is enlivened with a typical food itinerary where it is possible to taste the traditional local cuisine, such as typical cakes, roasted chestnuts, corn cobs, truffle soup, artisan wine and beer. Furthermore, the whole village is entertained by buskers, street artists and road shows. During this event it is possible to buy typical products such as truffles, local cheese, walnuts, chestnuts, pink apples and honey as well as local handicrafts.

 

Summer opening

June

Every Sunday and Tuesday, 02
Morning from 10:30AM to 12:30AM
Afternoon from 4:30PM to 6:30PM

July

Every Saturday and Sunday
Morning from 10:30AM to 12:30AM
Afternoon from 4:30PM to 6:30PM

August

Every Saturday and Sunday
Morning from 10:30AM to 12:30AM
Afternoon from 4:30PM to 6:30PM
Everyday, from 10 to 23
Morning from 10:30AM to 12:30AM
Afternoon from 4:30PM to 6:30PM

Settembre

Every Sunday
Morning from 10:30AM to 12:30AM
Afternoon from 4:30PM to 6:30PM

 

Addresses

Palazzo Felici – Via Roma, 42
63855 Montefalcone Appennino
Tel. +39 0734 79136
info@montefalcone.it
www.montefalcone.it